ValuesWe begin with the premise that all life on Earth is facing a critical time, during which survivability will be the issue that increasingly dominates public concerns.
The root causes of this situation include basic values embodied in our economic system, including the values of the corporate world. Primary among the problematic corporate values are the primary of expansion and short-term profits over such other considerations as quality, sustainability, environmental and human health, and successful communities.
The fundamental goal of this corporation is to operate in such a manner that we are fully aware of the above conditions, and attempt to reorder the hierarchy of corporate values, while producing products that enhance both human and environmental conditions.
To help achieve these changes, we will make our operating decisions based on the following list of values. They are not presented in order of importance. All are equally important. They represent an “ecology” of values that must be emphasized in economic activity that can mitigate the environmental and social crisis of our times.
Many companies have value statements, but often these written values are vague and ignored. The real values of a firm are shown by who gets rewarded or let go. Below are our real values, the specific behaviors and skills we care about most. The more these sound like you, and describe people you want to work with, the more likely you will thrive at SICKBOAT.
- The board and management recognize that successful communities are part of a sustainable environment. We consider ourselves to be an integral part of communities that also include our employees, the communities in which we live, our suppliers and customers. We recognize our responsibilities to all these relationships and make our decisions with their general benefit in mind. It is our policy to employ people who share the fundamental values of this corporation, while representing cultural and ethnic diversity.
- Maximum attention is given to product quality, as defined by durability, minimum use of natural resources (including materials, raw energy, and transport), multifunctionality, non obsolescence, and the kind of beauty that emerges from absolute suitability to task. Concern over transitory fashion trends is specifically not a corporate value.
- Without giving its achievement primacy, we seek to profit on our activities. However, growth and expansion are values not basic to this corporation.
- To help mitigate any negative environmental consequences of our business activity, we impose on ourselves an annual tax of 1% of our gross sales. All proceeds of this tax are granted to local, national, and international community and environmental activism.
- At all levels of operation - board, management, and staff - SICKBOAT encourages proactive stances that reflect our values. These include activities that influence the larger corporate community to also adjust its values and behavior, and that support, through activism and financially, grassroots and national campaigners who work to solve the current environmental and social crisis.
- In our internal operations, top management will work as a group, and with maximum transparency. This includes an “open book” policy that enables employees easy access to decisions, within normal boundaries of personal privacy and “trade secrecy.” At all level of corporate activity, we encourage open communications, a collaborative atmosphere, and maximum simplicity, while we simultaneously seek dynamism and innovation.
- All decisions of the company are made in the context of the environmental and humanitarian crisis. At every level we seek to minimize our footprint. Highlighting this in terms not only from an environmental understanding, but our approach to life and work.
- We must strive to do no harm. Wherever possible, our acts should serve to decrease the problem. Our activities in this area will be under constant evaluation and reassessment as we seek constant improvement.
LIST OF VALUES & COMPETENCIES
- Integrity & Trust: Admits mistakes, trustworthy, dependable, accountable.
- You are known for candor, authenticity, transparency, and being non-political
- You only say things about fellow employees that you say to their face
- You admit mistakes freely and openly
- You treat people with respect independent of their status or disagreement with you
- Business Acumen: How well you know the business and your role.
- Financial IQ / Awareness
- You learn rapidly and eagerly
- You contribute effectively outside of your specialty
- You make connections that others miss
- You seek to understand our members around the world, and how we partner with them
- You seek alternative perspectives
- Innovative and Creative: Think outside the box, Problem Solving, Unique Solutions.
- You create new ideas that prove useful
- You re-conceptualize issues to discover solutions to hard problems
- You challenge prevailing assumptions, and suggest better approaches
- You keep us nimble by minimizing complexity and finding time to simplify
- You thrive on change
- Analytical Thinking / Synthesis
- Common sense
- You make wise decisions despite ambiguity
- You identify root causes, and get beyond treating symptoms
- You think strategically, and can articulate what you are, and are not trying to do
- You are good at using data to inform your intuition
- You make decisions based on the long term, not short term
- Action Oriented and Agile: Openness to change, flexible.
- Personal Productivity and Execution: Planning, Organizing, Time Management.
- You accomplish amazing amounts of important work
- You demonstrate consistently strong performance so colleagues can rely upon you
- You make your colleagues better
- You focus on results over process
- Teamwork: Promotes cooperation and Harmony.
- You act in the best interest of SICKBOAT’s Values, Philosophies and Principles.
- You are open-minded in search of the best ideas
- You make time to help colleagues
- You share information openly and proactively
- Purpose, Focus & Vision: Acts with the end in mind.
- Communicative: Articulate, Presence, Listening and Understanding others.
- You are concise and articulate in speech and writing
- You listen well and seek to understand before reacting
- You maintain calm poise in stressful situations to draw out the clearest thinking
- You adapt your communication style to work well with people from around the world who may not share your native language
- You provide candid, timely feedback to colleagues
- Customer Focus: Dedicated to Internal and external Customers, Acts with customers in mind, builds effective relationships.
- Motivation & Initiative / Determined / Persistence: Does more than is asked, Go-Getter, Seizes opportunity, Looks and acts on opportunities to improve. Pushing through to results.
- Reliable / Courageous / Holding others accountable
- You say what you think, when it’s in the best interest of SICKBOAT, even if it is uncomfortable
- You are willing to be critical of the status quo
- You make tough decisions without agonizing
- You take smart risks and are open to possible failure
- You question actions inconsistent with our values
- You are able to be vulnerable, in search of truth
- Talent Development & Performance Management: Develops and grows team and addresses performance issues.
- You collaborate effectively with people of diverse backgrounds and cultures
- You nurture and embrace differing perspectives to make better decisions
- You focus on talent and our values, rather than a person’s similarity to yourself
- You are curious about how our different backgrounds affect us at work, rather than pretending they don’t affect us
- You recognize we all have biases, and work to grow past them
- You intervene if someone else is being marginalized
- Strategic Leadership: Future oriented, broad knowledge and perspective, shares vision and strategy effectively.
- Inspire & Empower Others: Motivate others to perform at their best, lead by example, allows others to make decisions.
- You inspire others with your thirst for excellence
- You care intensely about our members and SICKBOAT’s success
- You are tenacious and optimistic
- You are quietly confident and openly humble
- Conflict Management: Find common ground, Addresses issues timely and objectively.
- Stress Tolerance
It’s easy to write admirable values; it’s harder to live them. In describing courage we say, “You question actions inconsistent with our values.” We want everyone to help each other live the values and hold each other responsible for being role models. It is a continuous aspirational process.
In describing integrity we say, “You only say things about fellow employees you say to their face.” This attribute is one of the hardest for new people to believe — and to learn to practice. In most situations, both social and work, those who constantly say what they really think about people are quickly isolated and banished. We work hard to get people to give each other professional, constructive feedback — up, down and across the organization — on a continual basis. People frequently ask others, “What could I be doing better?” and themselves, “What feedback have I not yet shared?”
We believe we will learn faster and be better if we can make giving and receiving feedback less stressful and a more normal part of work life. Feedback is a continuous part of how we communicate and work with one another versus an occasional formal exercise. We build trust by being selfless in giving feedback to our colleagues even if it is uncomfortable to do so. Feedback helps us to avoid sustained misunderstandings and the need for rules. Feedback is more easily exchanged if there is a strong underlying relationship and trust between people, which is part of why we invest time in developing those professional relationships. We celebrate the people who are very candid, especially to those in more powerful positions. We know this level of candor and feedback can be difficult for new hires and people in different parts of the world where direct feedback is uncommon. We actively help people learn how to do this at SICKBOAT through coaching and modeling the behaviors we want to see in every employee.
- Work / Life Balance: Takes time for filing up the tank, respects others personal time, enjoy lifestyle our brand represents.
- Passionate: Do what you love.