How To Create Old VHS Footage with VHS Effects in After Effects!
Easily learn how to create old VHS footage and make your video look like a VHS.
In this tutorial, we’ll teach you how to get the camcorder effect in after effects, easy and fast! Using our Real VHS Effects Pack, we’ll walk you through how to easily add retro VHS effects, authentic VHS noise, and VHS glitches to your video footage using blending modes and effects. Along with a few additional editing tips to make your video look like a VHS tape.
Fully compatible with Adobe Premiere Pro, Final Cut Pro X, Davinci Resolve, After Effects, Photoshop, and more! Give your videos that "perfect" old VHS footage with authentic VHS textures, elements, and sound effects.
How To Create Old VHS Footage in After Effects:
- Step 1: Add one of the VHS effects / VHS textures on top of your video layer and then right click and "pre-compose" the layer and label it "Displacement".
- Step 2: Add the Displacement Map effect onto your footage layer. In the effects control panel change the Displacement Map Layer to 1. Displace, Horizontal Displacement to Luminance, and Vertical Displacement to Luminance.
- Step 3: Add another one of the VHS Effects / VHS Textures on top of your video layer and change the blending mode to "color dodge".
- Step 4: Drag & drop a 4:3 aspect ratio matte on the next layer above your VHS texture. Scale it down to fit the frame width, then add the Gaussian Blur effect and make the amount 30%.
- Step 5: On the bottom footage layer, add the VR Chromatic Aberrations Effect. The frame layout should be monoscopic, change the vertical field of view to 150, change the red aberration to -3, change the blue aberration to 3, and the falloff distance to 12.
- Step 6: Then create a new adjustment layer, and place it below the 4:3 aspect ratio matte. Add the Curves Effect on the adjustment layer and bring down the whites and bring up the blacks so to flatten out the color of the footage.
- Step 7: Add the Hue/Saturation Effect on the adjustment layer and change the the master saturation to -15.
- Step 8: Add the Fast Box Blur Effect to the adjustment layer and change the blur radius to 2, the iterations to 2, and check the repeat edge pixels box.
- Step 9: Add the Sharpen Effect and change the amount to 150.
- Step 10: Now, on the video footage layer, add the Venetian Blinds Effect and change the transition completion to 10%, the direction to 90, and the width to 10 or so.
- Step 11: Lastly, add the Offset Effect to the video layer and set keyframes on the y axis at the beginning and end of the video clip.
- Step 12: BONUS: Add the Wave Warp Effect to the video layer and change the wave type to square, the wave height to 10, the wave width to 1000, the direction to 0, the wave speed to -0.1, and click to pin all edges.
► Subscribe to our Youtube for Exclusive Product Deals and Tutorials! https://bit.ly/sbctsub
🔥 Follow us: https://linktr.ee/sickboat
💰 Shop Cinema Tools: https://sickboat.com/collections/all
🖥 Design, Video Editing, and Motion Tutorials: https://sickboat.com/pages/tutorials