How To Add Real Grain To Photos in Photoshop with Film Grain Overlays!
Easily learn how to add real film grain to images to make your photos look gritty, grainy, and vintage.
In this tutorial, we’ll teach you how to get the real grain effect in photoshop, easy and fast!
The photo film grain texture overlays are sourced from a variety of 35mm film stocks: Kodak, Ilford, Cinestill, and Lomochrome film grain.
We'll walk you through a few photo editing tips so you can create subtle or gritty film looks - without the time suck.
Fully compatible with all photo and video editing software: Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, Premiere Pro, Final Cut Pro X, Davinci Resolve, After Effects, and more.
Give your images that "perfect" real film grain effect with authentic 35mm film grain textures.
How To Add Real Grain To Photos in Photoshop:
- Step 1: Drag and drop one of the real film grain texture overlays on top of your photo layer and scale it accordingly.
- Step 2: Change the blending mode to desired look. The lighten, screen, color dodge, linear dodge, overlay, soft light, and hard light all provide slightly different but great film looks.
- Step 3: Select Image > Adjustments > Curves (or Control M on the keyboard) and change the contrast of the film grain texture with an s-curve. Bring up the whites and bring down the blacks. This will make the film grain more visible.
- Step 4 (Optional): To make a more gritty film look, duplicate the film grain layer or drag and drop another photo film grain overlay on top of the images. Then scale up and rotate the film grain layer so it is different from the first film grain overlay and change the blending mode.
- Step 5 (Optional): Add a film burn overlay via one of our popular photo film frames packs vol. 1 or photo film frames pack vol. 2 - then change the blending mode.
- Step 6 (Optional): Add a photo film frame border on top of your image, film grain, and film burn layers.
► Subscribe to our Youtube for Exclusive Product Deals and Tutorials! https://bit.ly/sbctsub
🔥 Follow us: https://linktr.ee/sickboat
💰 Shop Cinema Tools: https://sickboat.com/collections/all
🖥 Design, Video Editing, and Motion Tutorials: https://sickboat.com/pages/tutorials